Monday, June 15, 2009

Grape Nuts Low-Fat Muffins

Jason and I love to eat Malt-O-Meal hot cereal with Grape Nuts on top. I always read through the muffin recipes on both boxes and think to myself, "Those muffins sound really good. I should make them sometime." Well I finally made both recipes, and I loved them both. Both recipes are very different but really good. I have posted both recipes for your convenience. I actually freeze them after they have cooled because Jason and I can't eat twelve muffins in one sitting. You can just heat them up in the microwave after they've been frozen and they turn out great.

1 cup Grape Nuts cereal
1 cup fat-free milk (I just used 1% since that's what we have on hand)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup chunky applesauce (I just used regular unsweetened applesauce...I don't know if that's considered chunky but it worked)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins (I don't care for raisins so I omitted them when I made these muffins)
2 Tbsp. margarine, melted

Preheat oven to 400. Combine cereal and milk. let stand 3 minutes. Meanwhile, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl; set aside. Beat egg in medium bowl. Add applesauce, sugar, raisins, and margarine; mix well. Stir in cereal mixture until well blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. (Batter will be lumpy.)

Spoon evenly into 12 muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray, filling each cup two-thirds full.

Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack; cool slightly.

Yield: 12 muffins

Serving Size: 1 muffin

Nutrition Information Per Serving: 170 calories, 2.5 g total fat, o.5g saturated fat, 20mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 15g sugars, 4g protein

Grape Nuts Low-Fat Muffins

1 comment:

donnabarresi said...

These Muffins are great ! and I made them from start to finish in 30 mins! taste great! on a scale of 1-10 these are an 11! 5 stars!