Monday, November 9, 2009

Homemade Thanksgiving Dressing (Stuffing)

(Mom wrote): The following recipe is one I wrote down while observing my mom make dressing one Thanksgiving because she never wrote the recipe down.

2 large loaves homemade bread (or bread that is a little hardier than the Wonder type)
3 large onions
1½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground sage
5 cubes margarine
1 cube butter
Pepper, to taste

Cut bread into cubes. Grind onions. Saute onion in 1 cube margarine. Melt rest of margarine. Add salt, sage and pepper to onion mixture, then pour over bread and mix well.

Put in covered pan or wrap in heavy aluminum foil and heat in oven until warm.

I have modified the ingredients a little because I could feel myself growing larger just reading the recipe.

This is the modified version

2 loaves bread
3 onions
1½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground sage
2 cubes butter
2 cubes margarine

I don’t think it matters much what combination of butter and margarine you put in, depending on what flavor you like. I use a little more butter than Mother did.

Enjoy!

No comments: