Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sukothai Pad Thai (with Anne's notes)

½ C white sugar (I use a scant ½ c otherwise I think it’s too sweet)
½ C white vinegar (I use 2 tbsp lime juice and then fill the rest of ¼ c up with rice vinegar)
¼ C soy sauce (I fill half the ¼ C with soy sauce and the other half with fish sauce)
2 tbsp tamarind pulp (I don’t put this in. Can add 1tbsp of lime instead, but I don’t because I use lime with the vinegar.)
1 (12 ounce) package rice noodles (linguine style is what I like)
½ C canola oil (can also add a couple drops sesame oil if you have it but I don’t usually add it.)
1 ½ tsp minced garlic
4 eggs
1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu (I use chicken. I cook two breasts and cook them before adding. You can use pork or shrimp too.)
1 ½ tbsp white sugar (I omit this. Like I said, even the ½ C makes it too sweet for me.)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 ½ C ground (or chopped) dry roasted peanuts
1 ½ tsp ground, dried oriental radish (I omit this.)
½ C chopped fresh chives (I use green onion and probably put in 1 C)
1 tbsp paprika (I use 1 tsp chili powder instead….better flavor)
2 C fresh bean sprouts
I also add about 1 C shredded carrots


1. To prepare Pad Thai sauce: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, blend sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and tamarind pulp.
2. Cook rice noodles until soft; drain. In a large skillet or wok over medium heat, warm oil and add garlic and eggs; scramble the eggs. Add tofu (cooked chicken) and stir until well mixed; add noodles and stir until cooked.
3. Stir in Pad Thai sauce, 1 ½ tbsp sugar (which I omit) and 1/1/2 tsp salt. Stir in peanuts and ground radish. Remove from heat and stir in chives (or green onions), carrots, bean sprouts and paprika (or chili powder which I prefer) You want this vegetables warm but crisp so you add them at the very end.

No comments: